Monday, July 19, 2010

Boqueria Market



From the times of the ancient Romans, outdoor markets have been the place to go to find the freshest and largest selection of goods. Many contemporary Barcelonians still prefer to purchase their groceries at markets like these instead of a local store or large supermarket. Here one can find the freshest selection of fish, fruits and vegetables and often kinds of meats, or parts of an animal, that may not be sold in a large commercial store. This was such an amazing experience for me because I was able to experience a wide range of foods and sights that would never have been available to me in the United States. I have grown to prefer the outdoor Boqueria market to my local mom and dad store, and depending on what I need to buy, have been doing much shopping there. Shopping at the Boqueria market has been enlightening and I am always excited to see what is just around the corner. When I return to the United States I am going to make a concrete effort to shop in more outdoor markets, as opposed to supermarkets. While the food may be a bit more pricey, I can develop relationships with the venders, who can always point me in the right direction in terms of what to buy, or not buy. Often the freshest fruit is in these markets, as the growers get up early to drive from the central valley to sell their goods at market. Boqueria is one of the oldest markets in Barcelona, with a rich history, and is much larger than many of the other outdoor markets in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment